Sunday, November 21, 2010

Can you hear me now?

Last summer I went to Hot Lips Pizza for lunch as I did so many times during the fabulous summer cycling season. I prefer this location, because it has outside seating and is set back from the street. Birds are hopping around and chase after the crust crumbs. A very relaxing setting indeed. On my way to the inside entrance I noticed a young couple. He was talking to her and she was "listening" and punching buttons on her cellphone. I noticed that because usually it is the other way around hahaha. But besides that my opinion on multitasking is well described in one of my previous posts and social consequences here. 80% of every conversation is non-verbal. So having a conversation like that you are missing out on most of it. In addition to that I think it is important to show the worth of a person by giving them your undivided attention see attentiveness. The entire advent of the electronic onslaught does major damage to the ability of people to concentrate and communicate. I highly doubt it is a mere coincidence that “the stratospheric increase in diagnosed learning and attention deficits” has correlated with “the advent of the electronic playground. Many times when I get in the elevator in the morning I meet people who are very busy working their phone. Not does that only put a damper on learning social skills, but as a society we are definitely overstimulated. I think it does major damage to the ability of humans to interact and have meaningful conversations. It also shortens our attention span to constantly be inudated with information.
It is important to escape that electronic stimuli on a regular basis. Turn of that TV or whatever and switch on your Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment